Carolina improves to 9-4 overall and 4-2 in the SEC.
Magda Wojdylo is 11-2 in dual matches this spring.
March 27, 2005
Columbia, S.C. -
The University of South Carolina women's tennis team defeated the Auburn Tigers on Sunday, 5-0, at the USC Indoor Tennis Facility. The win improved the Gamecocks to 9-4 overall, and to 4-2 in the SEC while the Tigers dropped to 6-9 overall and 0-6 in the conference.
The Gamecocks jumped out front early by taking two of the three doubles matches. Danielle Wiggins and Fallon Koon defeated Jelena Jovic and Tori Almagno 8-4 at the top doubles spot. Miranda Gutierrez and Christyn Lucas clinched the doubles point for the Gamecocks with an 8-5 win over Petra Bercik and Ashley Cowart. Auburn avoided the Carolina doubles sweep by picking up an 8-5 victory at No. 3 doubles.
Danielle Wiggins extended the Carolina lead to 2-0 with a 6-2,6-4 win over Jelena Jovic at No. 1 singles. Christyn Lucas improved to 5-1 in singles against SEC foes with a 6-3,6-2 win over Isabel Rosenbrock and that victory put the Gamecocks up 3-0. Magda Wojdylo came from behind in the second set at No. 4 singles to take a 6-1,7-6(5) win over Ashley Cowart. Miranda Gutierrez took a three set victory over Petra Bercik at No. 3 singles to make the final score 5-0 in favor of the Gamecocks. The win for Gutierrez improved her SEC singles record to 5-1 on the season. The five and six singles contest were suspended since the Gamecocks had already clinched the match.
Carolina will return to action on Friday at 5:00 P.M. when they face the 19th ranked Tennessee Lady Vols in Knoxville. After facing the Vols, Carolina will then travel to Athens, Ga. to play the 4th ranked Georgia Bulldogs on Sunday.
1. Danielle Wiggins/Fallon Koon (SC) d. Jelena Jovic/Tori Almagno (AU) 8-4
2. Miranda Gutierrez/Christyn Lucas (SC) d. Petra Bercik/Ashley Cowart (AU) 8-5
3. Isabel Rosenbrock/Sarah Suitor (AU) d. Magda Wojdylo/Megan McGavock (SC) 8-5
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1. Danielle Wiggins (SC) d. Jelena Jovic (AU) 6-2,6-4
2. Christyn Lucas (SC) d. Isabel Rosenbrock (AU) 6-3,6-2
3. Miranda Gutierrez (SC) d. Petra Bercik (AU) 2-6,6-3,6-1
4. Magda Wojdylo (SC) d. Ashley Cowart (AU) 6-1,7-6(5)
5. Megan McGavock (SC) vs. Nancy Peaden (AU) susp.
6. Justine Walsh (SC) vs. Tori Almagno (AU) susp.
Order of Finish: 1,2,4,3