INFORMATION FOR PROSPECTIVE STUDENT-ATHLETES
Prospective student-athletes are any students who have started classes for the ninth grade. Please be aware that there are certain NCAA regulations that we must follow in the recruiting process. A prospect cannot be recruited until Sept. 1 of their junior year of high school. If you have not yet reached Sept. 1 of your junior year, we cannot return any of your phone calls or explain anything about the program beyond your basic questions. Once you become a junior, coaches are permitted to call, text and email prospects. Email is always the best way to get in touch with us as this correspondence is unlimited and we are out of the office a lot. You are allowed to call us at any time, but you must reach us personally on the phone as we cannot return your call before Sept. 1 of your junior year. You may also visit our campus at any time (except during dead periods), and we can talk to you freely about our program at that time.
Here are a few things for you to do if you are interested in becoming a part of the South Carolina Equestrian team:
- Click here to fill out and submit the online questionnaire. Please fill this out completely and accurately.
- Submit a video/dvd for review. Videos should consist of you riding several different horses for a few minutes each demonstrating your abilities in horsemanship, reining, or equitation on the flat and/or fences. We ask that you submit video footage from disciplines you are experienced with. The footage should be taken within the past year. All hunter seat riders should include flat and jumping footage. Clips can be taken riding at home and/or showing and can be submitted on DVD or e-mailed to the coaches via You Tube links (please send direct links). Videos can be sent to:
South Carolina Equestrian
1304 Heyward Street
Columbia, SC 29208
- Send a letter with your DVD that includes your age, email address, year in high school, academic transcripts (do not have to be official) and test scores (from the testing center) to the coaches.
- Click here to register for the NCAA Clearinghouse. You will need to be registered and cleared to compete on any NCAA equestrian team.
How to make the team:
- Scholarship Recruit - A recruited student-athlete who is offered a spot on the roster prior to the start of the season and an athletic scholarship.
- Preferred Walk-on - A student-athlete who is offered a spot on the roster prior to the start of the season with no athletic scholarship.
Prospective student-athletes who have not been contacted directly by a member of the South Carolina varsity equestrian staff should consider USC's club IHSA team. For more information, Click Here. The University of South Carolina equestrian team does not offer walk-on tryouts.
For more information, rules, and deadlines for prospective student-athletes, Click Here
Click Here to contact the Gamecock equestrian staff.