March 4, 2018
COLUMBIA, S.C. -
No. 29 South Carolina vs. No. 17 Georgia
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- No. 29 South Carolina men's tennis overcame a 3-1 deficit on its way to a thrilling 4-3 win over No. 17 Georgia on Sunday afternoon at the Carolina Tennis Center. The win was the Gamecocks' first victory over Georgia since 2005.
The Bulldogs took the first three decisions in singles but South Carolina came back with a pair of ranked wins from Friedrich and Jubb to even the match at 3-3. Wood Benton then took care of his No. 6 matchup, winning 7-5, 7-5 to give the Gamecocks the 4-3 decision for their first SEC victory of the season.
Friedrich and Dennis got back to their winning ways in their doubles matchup against Loeb and Zielinski of Georgia. The Gamecocks' No. 1 doubles pair won three straight games to clinch the doubles point for South Carolina with a 6-3 victory.
Wood Benton and Harrison O'Keefe jumped out to a 5-2 lead in their matchup on court six and led 5-4 when play was suspended. The Gamecocks improved to 24-9 in doubles matches in dual play and have clinched the doubles point in six of their last seven dual matches.
1. Gabriel Friedrich/Yancy Dennis (SC) def. Robert Loeb/Jan Zielinski (UGA) 6-3 *
2. Paul Jubb/Thomas Mayronne (SC) def. Wayne Montgomery/Walker Duncan (UGA) 6-2
3. Harrison O'Keefe/Wood Benton (SC) vs. Alex Diaz/Nathan Ponwith (UGA) 5-4, unfinished
Georgia posted the first three singles wins at the Nos. 5, 4 and 3 positions, before Friedrich picked up his second ranked win of the year with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Wayne Montgomery, the 11th ranked player in the country.
Jubb then followed up with a 7-5, 6-4 win over No. 89 Nathan Ponwith to even the match at 3-3, improving his overall record to 14-6 in the process.
With all eyes on court No. 6, Wood Benton closed out a tight 7-5, 7-5 win to clinch the dual win for South Carolina.
1. Gabriel Friedrich (SC) def. Wayne Montgomery (UGA) 7-5, 6-3
2. Paul Jubb (SC) def. Nathan Ponwith (UGA) 7-5, 6-4
3. Jan Zielinski (UGA) def. Yancy Dennis (SC) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Walker Duncan (UGA) def. Thomas Mayronne (SC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Robert Loeb (UGA) def. Harrison O'Keefe (SC) 6-4, 6-1
6. Wood Benton (SC) def. Alex Phillips (UGA) 7-5, 7-5*
"They (Georgia) are perennially one of the best in the country and always at the top of the SEC, so it's a goal of ours to get them at home and especially responding after Friday night's loss (vs Tennessee). That's tough to do but we challenged our guys to come out a little sharper today, to have that cool, calm focus and that's exactly what they did. "-Josh Goffi.
UP NEXT FOR THE GAMECOCKS
The Gamecocks will make their first SEC road trip of the season next week as they take on Auburn on Fri. Mar. 9, at 5:30 p.m., followed by a trip to battle Mississippi State on Sun., Mar. 11 at 2 p.m.
For updates, continue to check back with GamecocksOnline.com or follow the team on social media (@GamecockMTennis).
- Women's Sports
- Fan Zone
- Gamecock Club
- Academic Services
- Active Gamecocks
- Annual Reports
- Brag Points
- Communications and Public Relations
- Community Outreach
- Compliance Services
- Facility Rentals
- Facility Projects
- Football Strength & Conditioning
- Gamecock Gala
- All Access