Gamecocks Travel To No. 13 Wake Forest Saturday
Game time set for 7 p.m. ET in Winston-Salem, N.C.
Gamecocks travel to Wake Forest on Saturday
Oct. 26, 2012
COLUMBIA, S.C. -
The South Carolina men's soccer team travels to No. 13 Wake Forest on Saturday for a non-conference match vs. the Demon Deacons. Game time is set for 7 p.m. ET at Dennie Spry Stadium in Winston-Salem, N.C. Below are match details and game notes.
Date: Saturday, Oct. 27, 2012
Kickoff: 7 p.m. ET
Location: Winston-Salem, N.C.
Stadium: Dennie Spry Stadium
Series: Wake Forest leads, 14-12-5
South Carolina Men's Soccer On Twitter: @GamecockMSoccer
South Carolina Men's Soccer On Facebook: Facebook.com/GamecockMSoccer
Carolina Quick Hits
- South Carolina is in its 35th season of varsity soccer in 2012.
- South Carolina head coach Mark Berson is in his 36th season overall and his 35th season as head coach of the Gamecocks. He is assisted by former players Spencer Lewis and Joey Worthen, both in their first season. Another former player for the Gamecocks, Clark Brisson, is the volunteer assistant coach.
- The Gamecocks will play their final two regular season games on the road, beginning with Saturday's match at Wake Forest. The Gamecocks will conclude the regular season at Kentucky next weekend on Nov. 4.
- Wake Forest owns a 14-12-5 upperhand in the all-time record in the series with Carolina. The team's last met during the 2011 NCAA Tournament, when Wake Forest advanced on penalty kicks. The two teams were suppossed to meet during the regular season in 2011, however, the contest was rained out.
- South Carolina earned a 1-0 victory in its last contest at Wake Forest during the 2010 campaign. Then-freshman Bradlee Baladez netted the game winner just six minutes into the match.
- The Gamecocks suffered a 3-2 loss to No. 9 Coastal Carolina on Wednesday night in the final home regular season contest of the year. Sophomore forward Snoopy Davidson and Baladez scored for Carolina in the contest.
- Sophomore midfielder Braeden Troyer scored his third goal of the season vs. Memphis on Oct. 20 to take the team lead with three scores this season. Troyer has scored in three of the last five contests. He is tied for the team lead with seven points in 2012.
Kentucky Contest To Be Televised
The Kentucky athletics department released on Friday that the men's contest at Kentucky on Nov. 4 will be televised on Fox Sports South with a kick off time of 1 p.m. ET. Dave Baker will handle play-by-play duties for the match.
Scouting Wake Forest
Wake Forest enters Saturday's match with a 9-3-4 overall record, which includes a 3-1-3 mark in ACC games. The sqaud is currently ranked No. 13 in the NSCAA Top 25 poll. Standout Sean Okoli leads the team with eight goals on the year, while Michael Gamble and Luca Gimenez both have contributed five, while all three have scored two game winners on the year. Goalkeeper Michael Lisch has played 15 matches in net and holds a stellar 0.69 goals against average. He has 34 saves on the year. Wake Forest opponents have scored just 12 goals this season. Jay Vidovich leads the team in his 19th season.
Last Time vs. Wake Forest
South Carolina and Wake Forest battled through 110 minutes of soccer in the first round of the 2011 NCAA Tournament, and with the match tied at 1-1, the result went to penalty kicks. The teams traded makes, before Wake Forest was able to advance. Wake Forest held a 1-nil lead before a penalty kick in regulation tied the contest for Carolina in the 50th minute.
Up Next For The Gamecocks
South Carolina travels to Kentucky on Nov. 4 for the regular-season finale for both schools. The contest will be televised on Fox Sports South.