Oct. 24, 2011
The South Carolina men's soccer team (8-5-1), winners of seven of its last eight games, will host No. 2 North Carolina (11-2-2) on Tuesday evening in non-conference play at Stone Stadium. The match is set to start at 7 p.m. South Carolina head coach Mark Berson will aim for his 450th career victory in the match.
GAMECOCK MEN'S SOCCER
October 24, 2011
Date: Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Kick Off: 7 p.m. ET
Location: Columbia, S.C.
Stadium: Stone Stadium
Series: North Carolina leads 17-10-1
Live Stats: GamecocksOnline.com
Free Live Video: GamecocksOnline.com
Game Updates: South Carolina men's soccer Facebook and Twitter (@GamecockMSoccer)
Carolina Quick Hits
- South Carolina head coach Mark Berson aim's for his 450th career victory on Tuesday vs. UNC. Berson aims to be the eighth Division I coach all-time to reach the 450-win milestone.
- South Carolina enters Tuesday's match versus No. 2 North Carolina having won seven of its last eight games, including a 4-3 win at FIU last Saturday.
- After Saturday's win at FIU, the Gamecocks lead Conference USA with a 5-1-0 record in league games. UAB is just behind in second place with a 4-1-0 mark.
- The Gamecocks scored a season high four goals at FIU on Saturday. Junior defender Kevin Stam tallied his second of the season, junior forward Mike Mangotic posted his first, sophomore forward Bradlee Baladez tallied his team-leading seventh of the season, and freshman midfielder Braeden Troyer scored his fifth, including his second game winner of his rookie campaign.
- Baladez paces the Gamecocks with seven goals and three assists this season for 17 points. Troyer has added five goals, senior midfielder Stephen Morrissey has contributed four, and sophomore J.P. Rafferty, junior Kevin Stam and freshman Snoopy Davidson have all tallied two.
Kick For A Cure
- Members of the South Carolina team will be wearing pink in their uniform for the "Kick For A Cure" game on Tuesday. The team is honoring Breast Cancer Awareness Month and the first 500 fans will receive pink and white rally towels.
Baladez In Conference USA Play
- Sophomore forward Bradlee Baladez has scored a goal in all six of South Carolina's C-USA games this season. The Dallas, Texas, native tallied the game winners versus Tulsa and UAB.
North Carolina Series History
- North Carolina leads the all-time series with South Carolina 17-10-1. The Tar Heels have won the last eight meetings between the two schools, including a 1-0 win last season in Chapel Hill. South Carolina's last win in the series came in a 3-2 road win during the 1999 campaign.
- North Carolina enters Tuesday's match with an 11-2-2 mark in overall games. The Tar Heels most recently suffered a 1-0 loss at Davidson on Oct. 17 and battled Maryland to a 1-1 double overtime tie last Friday. UNC's only other loss this season came against Virginia Tech on Sept. 10. The squad is paced by junior midfielder Enzo Martinez with eight goals and seven assists for 23 points on the year. Junior forward Billy Schuler has added 10 goals and two assists and sophomore forward Rob Lovejoy has contribued five goals. In net for the Tar Heels junior goalkeeper Scott Goodwin has played every minute of the team's 15 games. He has collected 30 saves and allowed just 12 goals for a 0.77 goals against average. He has five shutouts this season.
Last Year vs. UNC
- 18th ranked South Carolina suffered a 1-0 loss on the road at No. 4 North Carolina during the 2010 season. The teams battled through 78 minutes of scoreless play before UNC scored the game winner. UNC goalkeeper Scott Goodwin collected four saves in the shutout. Both teams drew a red card in the match.
Up Next For South Carolina
- South Carolina travels to UCF on Tuesday, Nov. 1 to make up the postponed contest from October. The match is set to start at 4 p.m.