COLUMBIA, S.C. -
The South Carolina men's soccer team is set to host No. 9 Coastal Carolina on Wednesday in the final regular-season home contest for the Gamecocks. Below is match information and game notes.
Carolina Quick Hits
- South Carolina is in its 35th season of varsity soccer in 2012.
- South Carolina head coach Mark Berson is in his 36th season overall and his 35th season as head coach of the Gamecocks. He is assisted by former players Spencer Lewis and Joey Worthen, both in their first season. Another former player for the Gamecocks, Clark Brisson, is the volunteer assistant coach.
- South Carolina hosts No. 9 Coastal Carolina in the final home contest of the regular season for the Gamecocks on Wednesday at Stone Stadium.
- Coastal owns a 4-2-1 upperhand in the all-time series with South Carolina. The teams have not met since the 2004 campaign, when CCU posted a 3-2 win competing in the Aaron Olitsky Memorial Classic in Charleston.
- Sophomore midfielder Braeden Troyer scored his third goal of the season vs. Memphis on Saturday to take the team lead with three scores this season. Troyer has scored in three of the last four contests. He is tied for the team lead with seven points in 2012.
- Freshman midfielder Jeffrey Torda is tied with Troyer for the team lead with seven points this season. The Colleyville, Texas, native has two goals and a team best three assists this season.
- Junior striker Bradlee Baladez leads the Gamecocks with 37 shots in 2012.
- Did you know? Gamecock head coach Mark Berson has led the Gamecocks to 20 NCAA Tournament appearances, including trips during the 2010 and 2011 campaigns.
Scouting Coastal Carolina
Coastal Carolina enters Wednesday's contest with 13 victories against just one loss and two ties this season. CCU's lone loss came at Charlotte, a 1-0 double-overtime decision. The squad currently owns a shutout streak of 320:58 minutes entering the game vs. South Carolina. Uchenna Uzo was named the Defensive Player of the Week for the Big South on Wednesday. He netted the game winner vs. Winthrop last week and his efforts landed him on the College Soccer News and Top Drawer Soccer National Teams of the Week. The squad owns a 10-game winning streak and 14-game unbeaten streak into Wednesday's contest. Netminder Federico Bertele has played the majority of time in net for Coastal, owning a stellar 0.54 goals against average. The team is led by Shaun Docking in his 15th season.
Up Next For The Gamecocks
South Carolina travels to Wake Forest for a non-conference match on Saturday. Game time is set for 7 p.m. ET.