Oct. 21, 2011
The South Carolina men's soccer team (7-5-1, 4-1-0 C-USA) travels to FIU (7-4-3, 1-4-1 C-USA) on Saturday for a Conference USA match at University Park in Miami. South Carolina enters the contest leading C-USA with 12 points on the year on a 4-1-0 record.
GAMECOCK MEN'S SOCCER
October 21, 2011
Date: Saturday, October 22, 2011
Kick Off: 7 p.m. ET
Location: Miami, Fla.
Stadium: University Park
Series: South Carolina leads 10-0-2
Live Stats: GamecocksOnline.com
Live Video: Live video is not available for the FIU match
Game Updates: South Carolina men's soccer Facebook and Twitter (@GamecockMSoccer)
Carolina Quick Hits
- South Carolina has won six of its last seven matches, including a 2-0 shutout win over NC State on Tuesday.
- South Carolina has won two away matches this season, earning a 3-2 win at Memphis and a 1-0 win at UAB.
- Gamecock head men's soccer coach Mark Berson is just two wins away from collecting the 450th win of his career.
- Sophomore forward Bradlee Baladez paces the South Carolina offense with six goals and three assists on the year for a total of 15 points. Baladez has tallied a goal in each of Carolina's five Conference USA matches this season.
- Redshirt-sophomore goalkeeper Alex Long earned the second shutout of his career, and the second of the 2011 season for the Gamecocks in Tuesday's 2-0 win over NC State. In South Carolina's shutouts this season (also earned 1-0 shutout at UAB), the Carolina defense has faced a total of 19 combined opponent shots in the contests.
- South Carolina will play just one more road contest during the 2011 regular season, as the squad will travel to Orlando on Nov. 1, for the rescheduled contest at UCF. The match, originally scheduled for Oct. 8, was postponed due to heavy rains in the area on game day.
- Six different Gamecocks have scored game-winning goals for Carolina this season. Baladez has tallied two, freshman midfielder Braeden Troyer has posted one, senior midfielder Stephen Morrissey has one, sophomore midfielder Chipper Root, junior defender Kevin Stam and most recently freshman forward Snoopy Davidson have each registered one.
Kick For The Cure Pink Match Scheduled For Next Tuesday
- South Carolina will honor breast cancer awareness month next Tuesday during the UNC match, wearing pink as part of the team's uniforms for the contest. The contest is set to kick off at 7 p.m. at Stone Stadium. UNC is ranked No. 2 in this week's NSCAA Top 25 Poll.
Davidson Nets First Career Game Winner
- South Carolina freshman forward Snoopy Davidson netted the first game winning goal of his career on Tuesday when Carolina defeated NC State, 2-0, on a rain soaked night at Stone Stadium in Columbia. Davidson tallied the game winner in the 37th minute, before pushing the lead to two goals with a tally just two minutes later. In the match, sophomore J.P. Rafferty and freshman Emmett Lunceford earned assists on the game winner, while senior Danny Cates and freshman Mahamoudou Kaba collected assists on the second Carolina goal.
Up Next For The Gamecocks
- South Carolina will host No. 2 UNC on Tuesday before traveling for the rescheduled match at UCF on Nov. 1. The Gamecocks will close out the regular-season home portion of its schedule on Nov. 4, when the team hosts Kentucky on Senior Night. That match is scheduled for a 6 p.m. start.