Game time set for 7 p.m. at Stone Stadium.
Oct. 19, 2012
The South Carolina men's soccer team will host Memphis on Saturday on Senior Night at Stone Stadium. Game time is set for 7 p.m. Below are match details, a video preview with Coach Berson and game notes.
COACH BERSON & CORY BURKARTH WEEKEND PREVIEW
October 19, 2012
Date: Saturday, Oct. 20, 2012
Kickoff: 7 p.m. ET
Location: Columbia, S.C.
Series: South Carolina leads, 4-2-2
Stadium: Stone Stadium
South Carolina Men's Soccer On Twitter: @GamecockMSoccer
South Carolina Men's Soccer On Facebook: Facebook.com/GamecockMSoccer
FREE Live Video
Carolina Quick Hits
- South Carolina is in its 35th season of varsity soccer in 2012.
- South Carolina head coach Mark Berson is in his 36th season overall and his 35th season as head coach of the Gamecocks. He is assisted by former players Spencer Lewis and Joey Worthen, both in their first season. Another former player for the Gamecocks, Clark Brisson, is the volunteer assistant coach.
- South Carolina continues a three-game homestand when it hosts Memphis on Saturday. The match will serve as Senior Night for Gamecocks Alex Long, Eric Martinez, Mike Mangotic and Kevin Stam.
- The Gamecocks look to rebound from a 3-2 loss in overtime to intrastate rival Wofford on Wednesday night in non-conference play.
- Against Wofford, Hunter Wyer and Jeffrey Torda both earned scores. It marked Wyer's second goal of the season, and Torda's second as well. Torda now leads Carolina with seven points in 2012, with two goals and three assists, while he has 25 shots on the year.
Memphis enters Saturday's match with a 4-5-3 overall record, which includes an 0-1-2 mark in league games. The Tigers most recently earned a 2-2 draw versus Tulsa on Oct. 13. Mark Sherrod, who was tabbed the Conference USA Preseason Player of the Year in August, paces the team with seven goals and three assists on the year for 17 points. Lewis Ellis and Chandler Ganon have both added three goals, and Liam Collins paces the team with five assists. In net, goalkeeper Conor Hurley owns a 1.25 goals against average, having allowed 16 goals on the year, while collecting 26 saves. He has two shutouts this season. Richie Grant is in his 14th season as head coach at Memphis.
Last Time vs. Memphis
Behind three goals in a 14-minute span, the Gamecocks earned a thrilling 3-2 comeback win on the road at Memphis last season in what was the Conference USA opener for both schools. Sophomore midfielder Chipper Root netted the game winner for Carolina, while sophomore forward Bradlee Baladez and freshman midfielder Braeden Troyer each tallied a score in the victory. Memphis held a 2-0 lead with a goal in the first half, and another shortly into the second, but the Gamecocks sparked in the final minutes of play, earning the game winner in the 86th minute. The win was the first of six in league play for the Gamecocks last season, which propelled them to the C-USA Regular Season championship.
Up Next For The Gamecocks
The Gamecocks will host No. 12 Coastal Carolina next Wednesday in the final regular season home contest of the year. Game time is set for 7 p.m.