Oct. 9, 2012
COLUMBIA, S.C. -
The South Carolina men's soccer team will host No. 25 UAB on Wednesday, concluding a three-game Conference USA homestand. Below is information on the match, live video and live stats information and game notes.
Date: Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2012
Kickoff: 7 p.m. ET
Location: Columbia, S.C.
Series: South Carolina leads, 8-3-1
Stadium: Stone Stadium
South Carolina Men's Soccer On Twitter: @GamecockMSoccer
South Carolina Men's Soccer On Facebook: Facebook.com/GamecockMSoccer
FREE Live Video
Carolina Quick Hits
- South Carolina is in its 35th season of varsity soccer in 2012.
- South Carolina head coach Mark Berson is in his 36th season overall and his 35th season as head coach of the Gamecocks. He is assisted by former players Spencer Lewis and Joey Worthen, both in their first season. Another former player for the Gamecocks, Clark Brisson, is the volunteer assistant coach.
- The Gamecocks conclude a multiple game homestand on Wednesday vs. UAB. The match is the fifth of the C-USA season for the Gamecocks and just the third for UAB.
- South Carolina snapped a three-game winless streak with a 2-1 victory vs. UCF on Sunday at Stone Stadium. Sophomore midfielder Hunter Wyer tallied the first Gamecock goal of the match, while freshman midfielder Ryan Arambula netted his first-career game winner.
- Hunter Wyer has played in two career matches, posting an assist in one, and his first-career goal in his most recent appearance vs. UCF on Sunday.
- Following Wednesday's contest, the Gamecocks travel to Marshall on Saturday for a 7 p.m. match, before returning home for three-straight contests, beginning with a non-conference match vs. Wofford on Oct. 17.
- Former South Carolina goalkeeper Warren Lipka was honored with selection to the South Carolina Athletic Hall of Fame for the 2012 class. Lipka was inducted on Thursday, Sept. 13, in a ceremony at Williams-Brice Stadium.
- South Carolina is the reigning Conference USA Co-Regular Season champions, as both the Gamecocks and UAB finished the 2011 league campaign with a 6-1-1 record.
- Carolina made its 20th appearance all-time in the NCAA Tournament in 2011, earning hosting duties for the first round.
- Baladez and sophomore midfielder Braeden Troyer were both named to the Preseason All Conference USA squad earlier this season published by College Sports Madness, while Baladez was tabbed a Third-Team Preseason All-American by CollegeSoccerNews.com.
UAB enters Wednesday's contest with a 6-3-2 overall record and a 1-1-0 mark in league games. The Blazers suffered a 1-0 loss to SMU in conference play, and rebounded with a 2-1 road victory at FIU. UAB also has quality wins this season at Clemson and vs. then-No. 20 Washington. The Blazers have also been ranked, or receiving votes for the majority of the 2012 campaign. Kofi Gyawu paces the squad with four goals on the year, while Chase Wickham, Mladen Lemez and Freddy Ruiz have all tallied three scores. Raphael Ville has played every minute in net for the squad, owning a stellar 0.86 goals against average with 42 saves and three shutouts on the year. His goals against average ranks third in Conference USA. UAB is led by Mike Getman in his 21st season as head coach.
Last Time vs. UAB
South Carolina posted a 1-0 victory on the road at UAB last season with then-sophomore Bradlee Baladez netting the game winner. The win was Carolina's fourth-straight overall and third-consecutive to begin C-USA play. South Carolina held UAB to no shots on goal, with the shutout marking the first of goalkeeper Alex Long's career. South Carolina went on to claim a share of the regular season league championship with UAB, as both team's posted 6-1-1 records in conference action.
Up Next For The Gamecocks
South Carolina continues Conference USA play when it travels to Marshall on Saturday for a 7 p.m. ET, matchup. The Thundering Herd's field is currently undergoing a renovation, so the match will be played in Hurricane, W.Va.