The Gamecocks celebrate Alumni Weekend this weekend at Stone Stadium.
Oct. 4, 2012
COLUMBIA, S.C. -
The South Carolina men's soccer team is set to host UCF on Sunday in the second half of a double-header with the Gamecock women's soccer team. The women will host Georgia at 1 p.m., before the men host UCF in Conference USA action at 3:30 p.m. Below is game information, a video preview with Coach Berson and game notes.
Date: Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012
Kickoff: 3:30 p.m. ET
Location: Columbia, S.C.
Series: South Carolina leads, 6-0-4
Stadium: Stone Stadium
South Carolina Men's Soccer On Twitter: @GamecockMSoccer
South Carolina Men's Soccer On Facebook: Facebook.com/GamecockMSoccer
FREE Live Video
COACH BERSON & CORY BURKARTH WEEKEND PREVIEW
October 5, 2012
Carolina Quick Hits
- South Carolina is in its 35th season of varsity soccer in 2012.
- The Gamecocks continue a multiple game homestand on Sunday hosting UCF as part of a doubleheader with the South Carolina women's team, who hosts Georgia at 1 p.m.
- The Gamecocks host UCF in their fourth Conference USA contest of the season. The match marks just the second league event of the 2012 campaign for the Knights.
- South Carolina men's soccer celebrates "Alumni Weekend," this weekend with events on Friday, Saturday and Sunday's match at The Graveyard.
- Freshman forward Wesley Eads scored the first goal of his career in last Saturday's 1-1, double overtime tie vs. FIU. Eads has three shots, one goal and one assist this season.
- Redshirt-sophomore midfielder Hunter Wyer collected the first assist of his career, making the first regular season appearance of his career vs. FIU. Wyer is a two-time selection to the Conference USA and SEC Academic Honor Rolls.
UCF enters Sunday's contest with a 4-3-2 overall record and a 1-0-0 mark in league contests after a 1-0 victory over FIU on Wednesday night. The Knights have played the majority of their matches on the road this season, owning a 3-1-1 mark in those games. Junior forward Deshorn Brown paces the team and ranks tied for first in Conference USA with eight goals on the season, while he leads the goals per game category with 0.89. Sophomore goalkeeper Sebastian Evers has played the majority of time in frame for the squad, owning a 1.09 goals against average and 19 saves. The Knights and Gamecocks have played two common opponents thus far in 2012, with both teams suffering overtime losses to Charlotte, and Carolina posting a draw with FIU and the Knights a win against their instrastate rivals.
Alumni Weekend For Georgia Football Game And UCF Soccer Match
South Carolina men's soccer will hold its annual Alumni Weekend, Oct. 5-7, in Columbia. Festivities will surround the Gamecock football game vs. Georgia on Saturday, before a men's and women's soccer doubleheader on Sunday, with the women hosting Georgia at 1 p.m., before the men's contest vs. UCF at 3:30 p.m. at Stone Stadium.
35th Season Notable
This weekend we celebrate our annual Alumni Weekend at Stone Stadium for South Carolina men's soccer. Over the course of the celebrated 35 seasons as a varsity sport at Carolina, we want to applaude the over 250 alums of the program. Led by legendary head coach, and the only head coach in the program's history in Mark Berson, South Carolina has enjoyed success throughout its seasons, marked by 20 appearances in the NCAA Tournament, four conference titles in just nine seasons competing in a conference, over 50 Gamecocks have been drafted or entered into professional soccer, 11 All-Americans, 69 NSCAA All-South honors, 19 national academic awards, and the list goes on. Congratulations!
Up Next For The Gamecocks
South Carolina concludes its three-game homestand when it hosts UAB on Wednesday, Oct. 10. Game time is set for 7 p.m. ET