Gamecocks travel to face 49ers on Saturday.
Sept. 23, 2010
Date: Saturday, September 25, 2010
Kickoff: 7 p.m.
Location: Charlotte, N.C.
Stadium: Transamerica Field at the Irwin Belk Center (4,000)
Series: South Carolina leads, 12-4-3
Live Stats: GamecocksOnline.com
Carolina Quick Hits
- South Carolina is in its 33rd year of varsity soccer.
- Head coach Mark Berson is the only head men's soccer coach in school history. He enters weekend action with a 419-170-57 all-time record at the school and a 430-175-57 career record (spent one season at The Citadel prior to appointment at South Carolina).
- Entering the 2010 campaign, Berson ranked second among active coaches in victories (428) and eighth among the winningest coaches all-time in Division I history.
- Berson is assisted by Bert Molinary, in his seventh season at South Carolina, and Mike Babst, in his fourth.
- South Carolina finished third in the annual Gamecock Classic last weekend. The Gamecocks tied Iona, 2-2, in double overtime, and suffered a 4-0 loss to No. 8 UConn at the event.
- Junior midfielder Stephen Morrissey and senior defender Will Traynor were named to the Gamecock Classic All-Tournament Team.
- Junior midfielder Danny Cates scored his first-career goal as a Gamecock in South Carolina's 2-2 tie vs. Iona. Cates has collected seven career assists at South Carolina, including one this season.
- Senior defender Will Traynor collected his second goal of the season vs. Iona. His two goals on the year currently lead the team. Traynor has scored six goals in his South Carolina career. He also scored a goal in Carolina's 2-0 victory over Clemson in the season opener.
- Did you know? South Carolina has scored five goals this season, one in the first half (vs. Iona) and the remaining four all in the second half. The Gamecocks scored two goals in the second half vs. Clemson, one vs. Yale and one vs. Iona.
- South Carolina head coach Mark Berson looks for his 420th career victory at the helm of the Gamecock program at Charlotte on Saturday.
- Senior midfielder/forward Blake Brettschneider ranks first in Conference USA with 4.60 shots per game.
- Senior goalkeeper Jimmy Maurer collected his 21st career shutout vs. Yale on Sept. 12. He is tied with Glen Thompson for fourth all-time in school history in shutouts. Charlie Arndt holds the school record with 29.
Charlotte enters weekend action with a 3-3-0 record, having defeated Elon, Memphis and Wake Forest earlier this season. Tyler Gibson paces the squad with two goals and three assists on the year, while Klay Davis has played the majority of time in net for Charlotte, holding a 1.12 goals against average.
The Gamecocks own a 12-4-3 upperhand in the all-time series between the two schools. South Carolina defeated the 49ers, 3-1, in the 2009 season opener in Columbia.