Sept. 11, 2012
The South Carolina men's soccer team (2-2-1) travels to face No. 5/8 Charlotte (4-0-1) on Wednesday in non-conference action from Transamerica Field in Charlotte. Below are details for the match and game notes for Carolina.
COACH BERSON PREVIEW
September 11, 2012
Date: Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2012
Kickoff: 7 p.m. ET
Location: Charlotte, N.C.
Stadium: Transamerica Field
Series: South Carolina leads 14-4-3
South Carolina Men's Soccer On Twitter: @GamecockMSoccer
South Carolina Men's Soccer On Facebook: Facebook.com/GamecockMSoccer
Live Video (for a fee)
Carolina Quick Hits
- South Carolina is in its 35th season of varsity soccer in 2012.
- South Carolina head coach Mark Berson is in his 36th season overall and his 35th season as head coach of the Gamecocks. He is assisted by former players Spencer Lewis and Joey Worthen, both in their first season. Another former player for the Gamecocks, Clark Brisson, is the volunteer assistant coach.
- South Carolina posted a 1-0 shutout vs. No. 2 USF and suffered a 3-0 loss to Florida Gulf Coast, competing at the USF Tournament last weekend.
- Sophomore midfielder Niklas Kivinen scored the first goal of his career in the victory vs. USF. The Mikkeli, Finland, native posted the score on a free kick opportunity in the first half.
- Junior netminder Alex Long posted his third shutout of the season, and the sixth of his career vs. USF. The Gamecocks now have three shutouts in five contests this season. The three shutouts in 2012 matches the season total from 2011.
- South Carolina earned a 2-1 victory last season in a home contest vs. then-No. 21 Charlotte. The Gamecocks have won four straight matches against the 49ers.
- South Carolina ranks 15th in the nation in shutout percentage.
- In exhibition wins vs. Georgia State and Elon, South Carolina scored a combined eight goals, including two each from junior striker Bradlee Baladez, sophomore midfielder Braeden Troyer and junior midfielder J.P. Rafferty. Carolina posted 39 shots combined in the two matches, compared to just 23 shots by opponents (Ga. State 14; Elon 9).
- Competing in the Gamecock Classic (Aug. 31-Sept. 2), South Carolina suffered a 2-0 loss to No. 15 St. John's, before a 0-0 double-overtime draw with No. 25 Northwestern. The weekend was extremely hot in Columbia, especially on Sunday with temperatures soaring into the 90's.
- Carolina is receiving votes in the most recent NSCAA Top 25 Poll, which was released earlier this week on Tuesday.
Fresh off last year's national championship game appearance, the 49ers are led by first-year head coach Kevin Langan in 2012. Through five games, Charlotte owns a 4-0-1 record, posting victories vs. Denver, Coastal Carolina, Stony Brook and Kentucky, while the tie came in a 1-1 decision vs. UAB. The 49ers played in Kentucky's tournament last weekend, collecting two victories, both shutouts. Aidan Kirkbride and Jennings Rex lead the squad with two goals each on the year, while netminder Klay Davis has allowed just two goals in five contests this season.
Up Next For The Gamecocks
South Carolina will host intrastate rival Clemson on Sept. 18, in a match at Stone Stadium set to begin at 7 p.m. Free live video will be available for the contest, as well as free live stats.