Men's Hoops Travels To No. 2 Michigan State For Primetime Matchup Tuesday
Nov. 15, 2010
South Carolina (1-0) travels to face No. 2/2 Michigan State (1-0) on Tuesday in East Lansing. The matchup at the Breslin Center will be part of ESPN's College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon.
Date: Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Tipoff: 10:05 p.m. ET
Location: East Lansing, Mich.
Arena: Breslin Center (14,759)
Series: Michigan State leads, 3-2
Talent: Dave O'Brien (pxp), Dan Dakich (analyst)
Radio: Gamecock Radio Network
(107.5 FM - Columbia/GamecocksOnline.com)
Talent: Andy Demetra (pxp), Casey Manning (analyst)
Live Stats: GamecocksOnline.com
Game Notes vs. Michigan State
Carolina Quick Hits
- South Carolina is in its 103rd season of basketball.
- The Gamecocks are led by third-year head coach Darrin Horn.
- South Carolina travels to face No. 2 Michigan State, the highest ranked opponent Carolina will face in a road contest since the Gamecocks traveled to face No. 2 Kentucky on Feb. 25, 2010.
- The Gamecocks were 2-9 in road contests in 2009-10, and 5-6 on the road during the 2008-09 season.
- Sophomore forward Lakeem Jackson collected his first-career double-double in South Carolina's win over Elon on Friday with 13 points and a team-best 10 rebounds.
- Sophomore guard Ramon Galloway returned from injury vs. Elon, scoring 11 points in 16 minutes.
- Senior forward Sam Muldrow led South Carolina with 20 points vs. the Phoenix, the fourth time in his career in the Garnet and Black that he has led the team in scoring. He led the squad in points three times in 2009-10.
- After its win over Elon on Friday, South Carolina owns a 74-29 (.718) all-time record in season openers, including a 3-0 mark under Darrin Horn.
- After the win over Elon on Friday. Darrin Horn is 7-1 all-time in season openers. Horn's only loss in a season opener came coincidentally against an SEC school, as Auburn got the best of Western Kentucky in 2003.
- South Carolina newcomers (including Malik Cooke) accounted for 41 points in the season opener vs. Elon. Cooke led all newcomers with 13 points, while Brian Richardson and RJ Slawson led all freshmen with 10 points each.
Scouting Michigan State
- Michigan State is led by head coach Tom Izzo. The Spartans have advanced to six Final Four's under Izzo, including the 2009 and 2010 Final Four.
- The Spartans are paced by senior guard Kalin Lucas. Lucas led MSU with 14.8 points per game last season.
- MSU defeated Eastern Michigan, 96-66, on Friday evening in the season opener. Lucas led the Spartans with 18 points, while Durrell Summers added 17. Draymond Green dished seven assists.
- Michigan State returns nine letterwinners and three starters from last year's Final Four squad.
- MSU was selected as the Big Ten Conference favorite to win the regular season by the media.
By The Numbers
- 43 - South Carolina's 43 rebounds vs. Elon were the most by the Gamecocks since collecting 44 on Jan. 26, 2010 against then-No. 1 Kentucky.
- 23 - South Carolina's 23 assists were the most for the Gamecocks since dishing 24 in a 103-42 win over The Citadel on Nov. 12, 2007.
- 0 - Lakeem Jackson earned a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds vs. Elon, while also adding four assists and a team-best three steals - all while committing ZERO turnovers in the contest.