Date: Friday, November 12, 2010 Tipoff: 9:04 p.m. ET Location: Columbia, S.C. Arena: Colonial Life Arena (18,000) Series: South Carolina leads 1-0 Television: FSCR (Fox Sports Carolinas) Talent: Rich Waltz (pxp), Eddie Fogler (analyst) Radio: Gamecock Radio Network
(107.5 FM - Columbia/GamecocksOnline.com) Talent: Andy Demetra (pxp), Casey Manning (analyst) Live Stats: GamecocksOnline.com Tickets: Tickets are available via the Gamecock Ticket Office (1-800-4SC-FANS)
This game is part of a men's and women's basketball doubleheader. Click HERE for ticket and parking information. The women's contest is set to begin at 6:30 p.m.
Carolina Quick Hits
- South Carolina is in its 103rd season of basketball.
- The Gamecocks are led by third-year head coach Darrin Horn.
- Carolina owns a 73-29 (.716) all-time record in season openers, including a 9-1 record in the last 10 seasons. The Gamecocks ride a nine-game winning streak in season openers into Friday's contest against Elon. The last season-opening loss for the Gamecocks came against the Ohio Valley's Tennessee Tech during the 2000-01 season, as the Golden Eagles edged the Gamecocks, 73-67. The Gamecocks earned an 88-50 win over Alabama A&M in the 2009-10 season opener.
- Darrin Horn is 6-1 all-time in season openers. Horn's only loss in a season opener came coincidentally against an SEC school, as Auburn got the best of Western Kentucky in 2003.
- Carolina was 11-5 in contests at Colonial Life Arena last season.
- South Carolina is 73-27 (.730) all-time in the month of November. Carolina went 5-1 last season during the month.
- South Carolina will play 13 non-conference contests this season, followed by 16 Southeastern Conference games.
- The 2009-10 Gamecocks concluded their 19th season of competition in the SEC with a 6-10 record. South Carolina owns an overall record of 122-182 (.401) all-time in SEC play.
- For the third-consecutive season, South Carolina defeated Kentucky Wesleyan in an exhibition contest. The Gamecocks defeated the Panthers 75-55 during the 2008-09 campaign, earned a 78-55 win last season and a 71-58 win over the Panthers on Nov. 4.
- The Gamecocks return SEC All-Defensive Team member Sam Muldrow. Muldrow was second in the league and 10th in the nation with 3.1 blocks per game in 2009-10.
- Muldrow is South Carolina's top returning scorer with 10.4 points per game last season.
- Sophomore forward Lakeem Jackson averaged 9.1 points and 6.1 rebounds per game over the last eight games of his rookie campaign.
- South Carolina owns a 280-127 (.687) all-time record against current schools in the Southern Conference. Carolina's last loss to a SoCon opponent came in a 68-61 decision at Wofford on Dec. 19, 2009. The Gamecocks' 81-57 win over Furman (Dec. 21, 2009) marks their last win over an opponent from the league.
Honoring Veterans Day
- In honor of Veterans Day and all the men and women that protect and serve the United States of America, Darrin Horn will have Command Sergeant Major Stall serve as Honorary Captain for the Elon contest. Horn will present Stall with a game ball prior to tip-off. Stall hails from Newport News, Va., where he entered the Army in February 1984. He currently is the Basic Combat Training Center of Excellence at Fort Jackson Command Sergeant Major.
- Elon is led by second-year head coach Matt Matheny. Matheny, a long-time assistant at Davidson, led the Phoenix to a 9-23 mark in his first season.
- The Southern Conference head coaches picked Elon to finish fifth in the North Division.
- Elon earned exhibition wins over Greensboro College (103-58) and Washington and Lee (93-50) earlier this month.
- Leading the Phoenix is junior guard Drew Spradlin. Tabbed a Preseason All-SoCon team member, he is the team's top returning scorer (13.3 ppg) and rebounder (4.6 rpg).
- South Carolina has three curent student-athletes on its roster that played their high school basketball at Christ School in North Carolina - Lakeem Jackson, Malik Cooke and Eric Smith. Elon has has two players that hail from the school in freshmen Sebastian Koch and Lucas Troutman.
- South Carolina was picked to finish sixth in the SEC East in the annual preseason media poll. The Gamecocks finished fifth in the league last season with a 6-10 record in league play.
Gamecocks In The SEC
- South Carolina has collected 16 victories over the course of the last two SEC seasons. It marks the highest total in back-to-back league campaigns since the combination of the 1997 and 1998 seasons (26) and is the third highest total ever in back-to-back SEC seasons (1996+97, 23 wins; 1997+98, 26 wins).
Consecutive 3-Pointers Made
- South Carolina has made at least one 3-pointer in 266 straight games dating back to an 0-of-19 performance from beyond the arc in a 64-57 loss to Mississippi State on March 2, 2002.
Did You Know - Take Two?
- South Carolina has not allowed an opponent to score 100 points since allowing Vanderbilt to surpass the century mark in a 107-97 Commodore victory on Feb. 17, 1996 - a span of 457 games.