COLUMBIA, S.C. -
South Carolina travels to Alabama on Saturday, continuing SEC play in 2013. The Crimson Tide holds a 23-13 advantage in the all-time series between the two schools, including an 11-2 upperhand in games played in Tuscaloosa. Game time is set for 4 p.m. ET on the SEC Network with Dave Baker (play-by-play) and Jon Sundvold (analyst) on the call. Fans can also listen on the Gamecock IMG Sports Network via GamecocksOnline.com and on 107.5 The Game in Columbia with Andy Demetra (play-by-play) and Casey Manning (analyst).
OPENING TIP Date: Saturday, Feb. 16, 2013 Tipoff: 4 p.m. ET Location: Tuscaloosa, Ala. Arena: Coleman Coliseum (15,383) Series: Alabama leads 23-13 (UA leads 11-2 in Tuscaloosa) Last Meeting: Alabama win, 63-57, on March 8, 2012 in New Orleans, La. (SEC Tournament) Television: SEC Network Talent: Dave Baker (pxp), Jon Sundvold (analyst) Radio: Gamecock IMG Radio Network Sirius: None; XM: None Talent: Andy Demetra (pxp), Casey Manning (analyst) Tickets | @GamecockMBB | Live Stats | ESPN3 | Game Notes | SEC Network Affiliates
Carolina Quick Hits
- South Carolina is in its 105th season of basketball.
- South Carolina suffered a 64-46 loss to visiting LSU on Thursday at Colonial Life Arena. The two teams have now split the season series, as each squad won on its opponent's home court. LSU's Johnny O'Bryant III posted 30 points and 10 rebounds in the contest, while senior forward Lakeem Jackson paced Carolina with 10 points, seven rebounds, three assists and a season high three steals.
- South Carolina head coach Frank Martin and Alabama head coach Anthony Grant were high school teammates on the basketball squad at Miami Senior High in the mid-80's.
- South Carolina shot a season high 57.7 percent (30-52) from the field, including a near season best of hitting 7-of-12 (58.3%) from beyond the arc, in a convicing 75-54 victory over Arkansas at Colonial Life Arena on Jan. 26. The win marked Carolina's first in league play at home this season. The 21-point margin of victory marked the largest in conference play since an 18-point win over Kentucky on Feb. 25, 2009. It was the first margin of at least 20 points in SEC play since an 83-61 win over Mississippi State on Feb. 11, 2006. Both of those wins occurred at Colonial Life Arena.
- After trailing 15-3, South Carolina ended the first half vs. Arkansas on a 40-11 run over the final 14:49 of the first half.
- Carolina's 75 points vs. Arkansas were the most in a regulation SEC game since posting a 79-73 win vs. Ole Miss on Feb. 22, 2011.
- South Carolina held an eight-point halftime lead on the road at No. 22 Missouri on Jan. 22, but the Gamecocks were unable to hold the lead down the stretch and the Tigers responded with 44 points in the second half to claim a 71-65 win. Mizzou struggled mightly from the field in the opening half, hitting just 6-of-30 attempts, but 28 points from the free throw line in the contest kept the Tigers within striking distance throughout.
Alabama enters Saturday's contest with a 16-8 overall record, including an 8-3 mark in league games. UA holds a 10-3 record in games played in Tulscaloosa this season. The Crimson Tide rides a two-game winning streak into the game, including most recently a Wednesday road win at Georgia. Trevor Releford leads three in double-figures for the team with 14.6 points per game, while Trevor Lacey adds 11.8 and Rodney Cooper provides 10.8. Four UA players average at least 4.0 rebounds per contest, with center Moussa Gueye leading the pack with 4.4 each outing. Alabama ranks second in the SEC and 12th in the nation in overall games in scoring defense, holding opponents to just 57.3 points per game, while the Tide's 43.1 field goal percentage ranks fifth in the league. Anthony Grant is in his fourth season leading the Crimson Tide.
Alabama holds a 23-13 lead in the all-time series with South Carolina, including an 11-2 advantage in games played in Tuscaloosa. Carolina's last road win in the series came in a 75-73 buzzer beater on Feb. 14, 2009. UA has won six of the last 10 in the series, and three of the last four.
By The Numbers 3 - Senior forward Lakeem Jackson set a season high with three steals vs. LSU on Thursday. It was the eighth time in his career that he has collected at least three steals in a contest. +2.0 - South Carolina ranks fifth in the SEC in strictly league games with an assist to turnover margin of +2.0 per game. 2nd - Among freshmen in the SEC, rookie forward Michael Carrera ranks second in both scoring (11.2) and rebounding (7.2) in strictly league games this season. Carrera has led the Gamecocks in scoring in four of the last five games, and in rebounding in each of the last five.
Up Next For The Gamecocks
The Gamecocks return to Colonial Life Arena to host Ole Miss on Wednesday in a 7 p.m. ET contest set to be televised on CSS.