Feb. 11, 2014
COLUMBIA, S.C. - South Carolina hosts Vanderbilt in the only matchup between the two schools this season. The Gamecocks dropped both of contests with the Commodores in 2013. Vanderbilt posted a 76-64 victory over the Gamecocks in Nashville in the final game of the 2012-13 season. Wednesday's game will be broadcast on SECTV.
Date: Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2014
Tipoff: 8 p.m. ET
Location: Columbia, S.C.
Arena: Colonial Life Arena (18,000)
Series: Vanderbilt leads 28-24
Last Meeting: Vanderbilt win, 74-64, on March 9, 2013 in Nashville, Tenn. (Memorial Gymnasium)
Broadcast: GamecocksOnline Webstream
Radio: Gamecock Radio Network/107.5 The Game in Columbia
Sirius: 157; XM: 199
Talent: Andy Demetra (pxp), Casey Manning (analyst)
Game Notes | Live Stats | @GamecockMBB on Twitter | Tickets
At Wednesday night's game, Gen. Bradley Becker, the commanding General at Ft. Jackson will serve as the Gamecocks honorary captain and will perform a contracting ceremony at halftime.
Carolina Quick Hits
- South Carolina is in its 106th season of basketball.
- The Gamecocks are led by Frank Martin in his second year. Matt Figger is the associate head coach, and Perry Clark and Lamont Evans are assistant coaches. Andy Assaley is in his second year as the director of operations for the Gamecocks.
- The Gamecocks are in their 23rd season of competition in the Southeastern Conference in 2014. Carolina owns a 134-230 (.368) all-time record in SEC play.
- Frank Martin owns a 55-55 (.500) all-time record in conference play.
- A 23-point halftime deficit was too much to overcome as South Carolina was defeated 72-53 by Tennessee Saturday at Thompson-Boling Arena. Freshman guard Sindarius Thornwell scored the Gamecocks first seven points and finished the day with a team-high 15 points and four steals
- After allowing Auburn to go on a 16-2 run early in the second half, the Gamecocks stormed back with an 18-2 run to level the game with under eight minutes to play, but the Gamecocks were unable to slow the Tigers down the stretch as they fell 79-74 last Wednesday night at Colonial Life Arena. Senior guard Brenton Williams led all scorers with 29 points on a season high 10 field goals, going 6-of-10 from beyond the arc. Despite only scoring eight points, Thornwell posted season highs in assists (9) and steals (4). Sophomore forward Mindaugas Kacinas added a season high 14 points and freshman guard Duane Notice chipped in 12 points.
- South Carolina held a 15-point lead with just under 11 minutes to play at Ole Miss (Feb. 1), but a late run from the Rebels turned the game in the home team's favor as South Carolina fell 75-71 on Saturday. Senior guard Brenton Williams led all scorers with 23 points as he hit 5-of-8 from 3-point range. Thornwell added 20 points and a career high six assists.
- The Gamecocks earned their first conference win of the season on Jan. 29 in an 80-52 win over Texas A&M, after holding a 20-point halftime lead. Freshman guards Duane Notice and Sindarius Thornwell paced the Gamecocks with 19 points, four rebounds and three assists apiece.
- Carolina's defense held the Aggies to 35.6 percent shooting from the field, and did not a allow a double-digit scorer for the first time this season.
- It was announced on Jan. 16 that junior guard Tyrone Johnson suffered a right foot fracture in the Jan. 15 game at Texas A&M, which required surgery. Johnson is out indefinitely. The Plainfield, N.J., native has played in 16 contests this season for Carolina, averaging 11.2 points and a team best 3.4 assists per game. He tallied 11 double-figure scoring games and 11 games with at least three assists prior to his injury.
The Commodores enter Wednesday's matchup with a 13-9 overall record, which includes a 5-5 mark in SEC games ... Before faltering in its last game to Arkansas, 77-75, at home, Vanderbilt was on a four-game winning streak ... The team currently has seven scholarship players and 10 its roster, three of which are averaging 37-plus minutes each in SEC play ... Senior forward Rod Odom leads the team with in points (15.2) and rebounds (5.8) per game ... Senior point guard Kyle Fuller is averaging 11.7 points and 3.1 assists per game.
Wednesday's meeting vs. Vanderbilt marks the 53rd all-time meeting between the two schools ... The Commodores won the last meeting, 74-64, on March 9, 2013, at Memorial Gymnasium in Nashville, Tenn., to take a four game lead in the series (24-28) ... The Gamecocks have won three of the last 10 games, with Vanderbilt winning the last five in a row.
By The Numbers
3 - The Gamecocks have won three of 11 games when the scoring margin is 10 points or less.
3 - In SEC games, Sindarius Thornwell leads all freshmen in three categories: scoring (16.6), assists (3.90) and steals (1.60).
4 - Senior guard Brenton Williams has recorded at least four 3-pointers in five of his last six contests.
4 - Thornwell recorded four steals in each of the last two games.
5 - South Carolina has played five of their 10 SEC games against teams that reside in the top half of the conference, four of which have 15 more overall wins on the year.
7 - Thornwell has recorded double-figures in eight of 10 SEC games, including four with 20-plus points.
7 - Sophomore forward Brian Steele scored a career-high seven points in 26 minutes at Tennessee.
13 - Williams has recorded double-figures in 13 of his 15 games.
33 - In the last three games, Thornwell, Williams and Duane Notice have each played at least 33 minutes per game.
37.6 - Since the injury to Tyrone Johnson on Jan. 15, Thornwell and Williams have stepped up their scoring numbers. The duo is averaging a combined 37.6 points over the last seven games, 10.5 points above their combined season average.
The Gamecocks return to Colonial Life Arena on Saturday afternoon for their only meeting Alabama this season. Game time is set for 4 p.m. ET, and the game will be broadcast on SECTV.