Gamecocks own a 3-3 record in SEC play.
Feb. 1, 2011
The South Carolina men's basketball team (12-7, 3-3 SEC) travels to face LSU (10-11, 2-4 SEC) in Southeastern Conference action on Wednesday. The contest will tip off at 8 p.m. ET and will be televised on the SEC Network (check local listings) with Clay Matvick and Barry Booker on the call.
Date: Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Tipoff: 8 p.m. ET
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Arena: Pete Maravich Assembly Center (13,250)
Series: South Carolina leads 13-11
Television: SEC Network (check local listings)
Talent: Clay Matvick (pxp), Barry Booker (analyst);
Eric Swaringen (producer)
Radio: Gamecock Radio Network
(107.5 FM - Columbia/GamecocksOnline.com)
Talent: Andy Demetra (pxp), Casey Manning (analyst)
Live Stats: GamecocksOnline.com
Game Notes vs. LSU | SEC Network Affiliates
Carolina Quick Hits
- South Carolina is in its 103rd season of basketball.
- The Gamecocks are in their 20th season of competition in the Southeastern Conference in 2011. Carolina owns a 125-185 (.403) all-time record in SEC play.
- Darrin Horn-led teams are 76-40 (.655) all-time in league play, including a 19-19 (.500) mark in SEC action.
- Muldrow, who will play his 100th career game on Wednesday, is nearly averaging a double-double in league play with 14.5 points and 9.7 rebounds per contest, which is tied for second in the league. He averages an SEC-best 5.5 blocks per game against conference opponents.
- South Carolina leads the nation (Jan. 31 NCAA stats) in blocked shots per game with 6.9 per outing. Muldrow ranks fourth in the nation in blocks per game.
- South Carolina's 14.6 offensive rebounds per game rank second in the SEC (Tennessee, 14.7).
- Muldrow needs just 11 blocks to become South Carolina's all-time leader in blocked shots. Brandon Wallace (249) currently holds the distinction. Muldrow is currently second all-time (239). He surpassed Danny Traylor (235) with his second of five blocks vs. Auburn on Saturday.
- In the starting lineup for the first time this season, Ramon Galloway tallied a team-best 20 points vs. Auburn. He matched career highs with six made free throws and eight free throw attempts.
- South Carolina will play four of its next six games on the road. The Gamecocks are 2-4 in road contests this season, including an SEC win over Florida on Jan. 15.
- After defeating Arkansas 81-74 on Jan. 19, the Gamecocks are 4-0 in games in which they score 80 points this season.
- Junior forward Malik Cooke collected his second career double-double, and his first as a Gamecock vs. Arkansas, scoring 11 points and collecting a team-best 11 rebounds, including five offensive boards.
- Sophomore guard Ramon Galloway had a stellar shooting night vs. Arkansas, hitting 8-of-16 attempts, including 3-of-5 from beyond the arc. Galloway's 21 points, 13 of those in the first half, were a team best.
- Third-year head coach Darrin Horn owns an all-time record of 100-22 (.819) in home contests and has led South Carolina to a 37-11 (.770) home record during his two-plus seasons in Columbia.
- Darrin Horn led teams are 45-48 (.483) all-time in road contests. Horn has led Carolina to a 9-19 (.321) mark on the road in his two-plus seasons in Columbia.
- In home games, South Carolina has held its opponent to under 41% shooting in nine of 13 contests.
- Carolina averages 68.5 points per game in six road games this season.
- Senior forward Sam Muldrow recorded just the second triple-double in school history in the SEC opener win over No. 22/24 Vanderbilt, scoring 16 points, collecting a team-high 14 rebounds and blocking a career high 10 shots. It marked just the 21st triple-double in SEC history and the 11th all-time involving blocked shots.
- Muldrow's 10 blocks were the most by a single player this season in the SEC, eclipsing the previous high of eight blocks collected by Arkansas' Delvon Johnson vs. Seton Hall.
- South Carolina has dished double-digit assists in 15 contests this season (through 19 games), compared to 18 times all of last season.
- Carolina leads the SEC in rebounds per game with 39.8 per contest.
- South Carolina is 427-427-1 (.500) all-time in the month of February.
Among Freshman In The SEC
- Bruce Ellington ranks fourth in points per game (14.2), fifth in rebounding (3.5), second in assists (3.7) and third in steals (1.2) ... Damontre Harris ranks second in field goal percentage (60.0) and third in blocks per game (1.6).
- Led by third-year head coach Trent Johnson, LSU enters Wednesday's matchup versus the Gamecocks with a 10-11 overall record, including a 2-4 mark in league play. LSU's two league wins came against Auburn and Arkansas.
- The Tigers are led by freshman guard Ralston Turner, who returned from a stress-reaction injury vs. Alabama on Saturday, with 13.1 points per game. Freshman guard Andre Stringer is the only other Tiger to average double-figures with 12.6 points per contest.
- Alabama out-rebounded LSU 43-24 on Saturday. The Tigers scored just 46 points vs. the Crimson Tide, their second-lowest scoring output of the season (44 points vs. Kentucky).
LSU Series Information
- South Carolina owns a 13-11 upperhand in the all-time series with LSU. The Tigers own a 6-3 advantage in games played in Baton Rouge.
- LSU has won six of the last 10 meetings between the two schools.
- South Carolina's last win in Baton Rouge came on Jan. 31, 2001 in a 68-56 victory. Jamel Bradley led the Gamecocks with 25 points in that contest, hitting 7-of-10 from beyond the arc, while Antionio Grant collected a team-best 11 rebounds.
By The Numbers
- 27.2% - Over the course of the last five games, South Carolina opponents have hit just 12-of-44 attempts from 3-point range, making 27.2 percent of their shots.
- 70 - South Carolina's 70 shot attempts vs. Auburn tied for the most attempts in a non-overtime game this season, as Carolina also attempted 70 shots vs. Michigan State on Nov. 16.
- 8.7 - South Carolina averages 8.7 blocks per game during SEC play compared to just 4.2 blocks per game by opponents. Carolina posted 11 blocks to Auburn's two on Saturday.
- 36.3 - Senior forward Sam Muldrow plays a team-high 36.3 minutes per contest in SEC play. He also leads the team in points (14.5), rebounds (9.7) and blocks (5.5) in league play.
- 5 - Senior forward Johndre Jefferson matched a career high with five blocks vs. Auburn on Saturday.