Game time set for 8 p.m. ET on ESPN3
Jan. 15, 2013
COLUMBIA, S.C. -
The Gamecocks look for their first SEC win of the season on Wednesday in Baton Rouge vs. LSU. The contest marks the 27th all-time between the two schools with the Tigers holding a slight 14-12 edge. The game marks the first for South Carolina head coach Frank Martin vs. LSU. The contest will be broadcast on ESPN3 with Mike Gleason and Daymeon Fishback on the call. Fans can also listen on the Gamecock IMG Sports Network via GamecocksOnline.com and on 107.5 The Game in Columbia with Andy Demetra (play-by-play) and Casey Manning (analyst).
Date: Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2013
Tipoff: 8 p.m. ET
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Arena: Pete Maravich Center (13,215)
Series: LSU leads 14-12
Last Meeting: LSU win, 68-58, on Feb. 18, 2012 in Columbia, S.C.
Talent: Mike Geason (pxp), Daymeon Fishback (analyst)
Radio: Gamecock IMG Radio Network
Sirius: N/A; XM: N/A
Talent: Andy Demetra (pxp), Casey Manning (analyst)
@GamecockMBB | Live Stats | ESPN3 | Game Notes
Carolina Quick Hits
- South Carolina is in its 105th season of basketball.
- The Gamecocks are led by first-year head coach Frank Martin. His associate head coach is Brad Underwood and his assistant coaches are Matt Figger and Lamont Evans. Andy Assaley is the director of basketball operations.
- The Gamecocks are in their 22nd season of competition in the Southeastern Conference in 2013. Carolina owns a 129-209 (.381) all-time record in SEC play.
- South Carolina aims for its first win of the league campaign on Wednesday at LSU, after suffering its second loss of the week in a 74-71 decision to Auburn on Saturday.
- The Gamecocks' two SEC losses have occurred from a combined five points.
- Junior guard Damien Leonard had one of the best games of his career, and the best SEC game of his career, against Auburn on Saturday. The Greenville, S.C., native posted a season high 17 points, hitting 6-of-9 from the field, including matching his career high with five made 3s. Leonard was also just one rebound shy of collecting his first-career double-double, as he led Carolina with nine in the contest.
- South Carolina collected 17 offensive rebounds vs. Auburn, posting 20 second-chance points, five points above Carolina's average of 15.2 per game in the category.
- Junior guard Bruce Ellington put together his best game of the season vs. Auburn on Saturday. After turning the ball over nine times vs. Mississippi State, Ellington dished a season high five assists against just two turnovers, while hitting a season high 18 points vs. the Tigers on Saturday.
- South Carolina suffered a 56-54 loss at Mississippi State on Jan. 12 in the 2013 SEC Opener. The Gamecocks struggled offensively in the contest, hitting just 39.2 percent (20-51) from the field, a near season worst in the category.
- Frank Martin owns a 50-34 (.595) all-time record in conference play.
- Junior guard Brian Richardson posted career highs in several categories vs. Mississippi State, including posting a career best 20 points to lead the Gamecocks in the contest.
- Carolina's 24 turnovers at Mississippi State on Jan. 12 marked the second-most in a game this season for the Gamecocks (25 vs. Missouri State).
- Seven Gamecocks currently average at least 20 minutes per game, with Lakeem Jackson leading the way with 31.4 minutes on the court per contest this season.
The Tigers enter Wednesday's contest with a 9-4 overall record, and an 0-2 mark in league games with losses to Auburn and most recently a 74-52 loss to Florida on Saturday. The loss to the Gators was the first home loss of the season for LSU. Four Tigers average double-figure points with Shavon Coleman (13.1) and Andrew Stringer (11.4) leading the way. Sophomore point guard Anthony Hickey posts 11.3 points, 3.4 assists and a league leading 3.5 steals per game. Coleman ranks fourth in the SEC in rebounding with 8.4 per contest. LSU opened its season with six-consecutive victories, before losing two out of the next three contests in road games at Boise State and Marquette. The Tigers are led by first-year head coach Johnny Jones.
LSU holds a slight 14-12 edge in the all-time series with South Carolina, including a 7-3 edge in games played in Baton Rouge. The Gamecocks have won two out of the last three in the series, and three of the last five, including a 64-56 win at the Maravich Center in 2011.
By The Numbers
58.5% - Auburn hit 58.5% (24-41) from the field vs. South Carolina on Saturday, marking the highest percentage from the field by a Gamecock opponent this season.
20 - The Gamecocks dished 20 assists as a team vs. Auburn, led by both Bruce Ellington and Michael Carrera with five each. The 20 helpers marked the first time the Gamecocks have reach at least 20 assists in a league game since posting 22 vs. Mississippi State on Feb. 11, 2006.
17 - Sophomore guard Damien Leonard posted a season high 17 points vs. Auburn on Saturday. It marked the most points in a game for the Greenville, S.C., native since posting a career high 19 points vs. Kentucky on Feb. 4, 2012. Leonard is averaging 9.0 points per game over the course of the last three games.
20 - The last time the Gamecocks played in Baton Rouge, then-freshman guard Bruce Ellington led the squad with 20 points in the contest.
Up Next For The Gamecocks
South Carolina continues SEC play when it returns to Colonial Life Arena to host Vanderbilt on Saturday with tip time set for 1:47 p.m. ET on the SEC Network. Stay tuned to GamecocksOnline.com for full details.