June 11, 2011
Box Score |
Tonight's attendance: 8,242 (ninth sellout of season at Carolina Stadium).
- Connecticut falls to 45-19-1 on the season.
- This is Connecticut's first appearance in an NCAA Super Regional.
- The Huskies fall for just the 10th time this season when scoring first in a game (37-10 overall).
- UConn falls to 29-34 all-time in NCAA Tournament play.
- Connecticut falls to 0-2 all-time against South Carolina; the only other meeting came on March 10, 1985.
- The Huskies are 2-9-1 when scoring two runs or fewer (0-5 when scoring one run or less).
- UConn fell against a left-handed starter for just the fifth time this season (12-5 in those games).
- Tonight was just the fourth time all year the Huskies lost when their opponent committed two or more errors (28-4-1 in those games).
- 2B LJ Mazzilli extended his season-long hitting streak to 10 games with a 2-out single in the seventh inning.
- RF John Andreoli has now hit in six consecutive games with a 1-for-4 night.
- RHP Matt Barnes equaled his shortest outing of the season as he went 4.1 innings. He matched his effort from the Huskies' loss to Coastal Carolina in the opening game of last week's Clemson Regional.
SOUTH CAROLINA NOTES
- South Carolina improves to 49-14 on the season.
- The Gamecocks improve to 7-0 all-time at Carolina Stadium in postseason games. Carolina has won 18 consecutive postseason games at home, dating back to the 2002 Super Regional vs. Miami.
- South Carolina has now won 10 NCAA Tournament games in a row (six straight at the 2010 College World Series, 3-0 at last week's Columbia Regional and tonight's win).
- The Gamecocks are now 19-12 in games when the opponent scores first.
- Carolina is 5-1 this season in games televised by the ESPN family of networks.
- LHP Michael Roth has now gone 30.0 consecutive innings without surrendering an earned run; that stretch spans the entirety of his last four starts. On the season, Roth has given up 15 unearned runs and 14 earned runs. His earned run average dropped to 1.02 after tonight's performance.
- LF Steven Neff was 2-for-4 with a double; 12 of his 18 hits on the season are for extra bases.
- 2B Scott Wingo went 2-for-5 with 2 RBI; it was his eighth multi-RBI game of the season.
- 3B Adrian Morales had his seventh stolen base of the year.
- 1B Christian Walker was 1-for-3 and also drew his fourth intentional walk of the season, which leads the team.