Columbia Regional Game 4 - South Carolina vs. Stetson Post-Game Notes
June 4, 2011
Box Score |
- Stetson falls to 42-19 on the season.
- The Hatters fall to 2-13 all-time against South Carolina; their last win over the Gamecocks came in 1975.
- Stetson will face North Carolina State in an elimination game at 1 p.m. Sunday. The winner of that will play South Carolina at 7 p.m.
- This was Stetson's fourth game of the year against a Southeastern Conference school; however, it was just their first loss. The Hatters swept Georgia in the opening series of the season.
- The Hatters are 0-8 when allowing an opponent to score 10 or more runs.
- 1B Trey Blackman hit his first home run of the season in the 2nd inning.
- RF Mitchel Brennan hit his third home run of the season and his second of the regional in the seventh inning. With that, he extends his hitting streak to eight games.
- Brennan also set a season-high with three RBIs in the game.
- DH Sean Emory had his third multi-hit game of the season, going 2-for-3 with a pair of singles and a run scored.
SOUTH CAROLINA NOTES
- South Carolina improves to 47-14 on the season. They remain undefeated all-time at Carolina Stadium (5-0) in postseason games.
- Carolina has now won 16 straight home postseason games, dating back to the 2002 Super Regional vs. Miami (Fla.).
- The Gamecocks will play the winner of Sunday's NC State-Stetson game for the regional championship at 7 p.m. Sunday.
- Carolina has won eight consecutive postseason games, dating back to their second game at the 2010 College World Series.
- All nine Gamecock starters reached base at least once, and all nine scored at least one run in the game.
- This was the 10th time this season South Carolina scored 10 or more runs. They are 10-0 in those contests. The last time was an 11-1 win over Charleston Southern on May 11.
- Robert Beary's third-inning grand slam was the first of his career and his third home run of the year. Beary also tied a career-high with four RBI in the game.
- Beary's slam was the second grand slam of the season for South Carolina; the other was hit by Christian Walker on April 5 vs. USC Upstate.
- Steven Neff hit his fifth home run of the season to lead off the fifth inning; of his 14 hits this year, 10 have gone for extra bases.
- Adrian Morales extended his hitting streak to seven games with a single in the second inning.
- Colby Holmes earned a win for the third time in four starts. He has gone six innings or longer on six occasions this year; all six such starts have resulted in wins.