South Carolina vs. Georgia Southern - Post-Game Notes
June 3, 2011
Box Score |
- South Carolina improves to 46-14 for the year.
- Carolina will face Stetson in a winner's bracket game at 7 p.m. Saturday.
- The Gamecocks have won seven straight NCAA postseason games, dating back to a win over Arizona State in their second game of the 2010 College World Series.
- The Gamecocks improve to 85-48 all-time against Georgia Southern, including a 2-0 mark in the NCAA Postseason; Carolina downed GSU 7-2 in the 1980 Atlantic Regional at Clemson.
- Carolina has won 15 straight home postseason games, dating back to the 2002 Super Regional vs. Miami (Fla.).
- This was the second straight meeting in Columbia between these two teams that ended in a 2-1 Gamecock victory (last: March 25, 2009; Gamecocks won 2-1 in 10 innings).
- South Carolina's four hits were a season low (previous low was five hits, on five different occasions).
- DH Adam Matthews made his first start since April 16 vs. Vanderbilt. He did have one at-bat in a pinch-hitting role in last week's SEC Tournament game vs. Auburn.
- 2B Scott Wingo was hit by a pitch in his second plate appearance of the day; he is South Carolina's all-time record-holder with 57 for his career.
- LHP Michael Roth made his third career postseason start; he is 2-0 with a career total of two earned runs in 21.0 career postseason innings as a starter.
- 3B Adrian Morales, the MVP of the 2010 Columbia Regional, drove in the winning run in the fifth inning.
- Georgia Southern falls to 36-25 for the season.
- The Eagles will face NC State in an elimination game at 1 p.m. Saturday.
- This is GSU's 13th appearance in the NCAA Tournament and their second in three years. The Eagles' last win in the postseason came at the 2002 Clemson Regional when GSU defeated Elon 6-2.
- The Eagles had just two hits in tonight's game, a season low (previous low: four hits on two occasions).
- RHP Andy Moye equaled his second-longest outing of the year with 8.0 IP and his the second complete game of his career.
- LF Scooter Williams extended his reached-base streak to eight games with a single in the third inning.
- CF Shawn Payne had the only other hit for GSU, a single in the sixth inning.
- SS Eric Phillips had a nine-game hitting streak and a 14-game reached base streak come to an end tonight.