Ready. Set. Rewind: Demetria Washington Davis
Christopher and Demetria Davis
Oct. 22, 2012
This year marks the 10th anniversary of the University of South Carolina Women's NCAA Outdoor Track and Field title that they secured in Baton Rouge, La., on June 1, 2002. The NCAA Championship was the school's first-ever team title in any sport for the Gamecocks. Thirteen members of the squad combined to earn 128 All-America honors over the course of their collegiate careers.
In the weeks leading up to the All-Sports Reunion, GamecocksOnline.com will feature members of the 2002 NCAA Championship team.
Demetria Washington Davis
Class of 2003, Exercise Science
Birthplace: Fayetteville, NC
Current Home: Fayetteville, NC
Currently...a personal trainer.
As a Gamecock:
- 21-time All-American - most in school history
- 6-time NCAA Champion
After South Carolina:
- 2000 Outdoor 4x400m (L. Barber, Washington, Ellakisha Williamson, M. Barber) (3:28.64, seventh fastest team in school history)
- 2001 Indoor - 400m (52.37)
- 2001 Indoor - 4x400m (Bass, M. Barber, Sheneka Griffin, Washington) (3:30.08)
- 2002 Indoor - 4x400m (Bass, Demus, Stoddart, Washington) (3:30.36)
o 2002 Outdoor - 4x100m (Whipple, Washington, M. Barber, Bailey) (43.12, Fourth fastest team in Gamecock history)
- 2002 Outdoor - 4x400m (Ross, Washington, Bass, Demus) (3:26.46 - school record)
2002 National Indoor Athlete of the Year
- 2003 World Championships - 4x400m gold medalist
- 2003 USA Outdoor Championships - 400m (placed 2nd)
Event(s) competed in at the NCAA's:
Favorite NCAA Championships Memory:
- 4x100m (Whipple, Washington, M. Barber, Bailey) - 43.12, Fourth fastest team in Gamecock history
- 4x400m (Ross, Washington, Bass, Demus) - 3:26.46, Fastest in South Carolina history
- 400m (4th)
When all of us were on the podium after we won and we all realized that we had actually won.
South Carolina Memories
Favorite South Carolina Memory: The family environment. We went through so many ups and downs together, but when we stepped on the track, good times or bad times, we put it all aside and focused on running hard and winning. We went out to do our best and to give the University a great name.
Why did you choose South Carolina? It was family oriented and it felt like home.
What are you most looking forward to about coming back to Columbia? All of us being together again. I've seen almost everybody sporadically throughout the years. We'll see each other at track meets or at events. The most exciting thing and the thing I'm most looking forward to is for all of us to be together again.
Then | Now
Favorite Book(s): Coldest Winter Ever | Coldest Winter Ever
Biggest Influence: Parents | God
Favorite Movie: All About the Benjamins | Pretty Woman
Person you admire most: Mom and Dad | Other than God, my husband (Christopher Davis) because he's fought for our country and been through war to serve our country.
Greatest athletic thrill: Winning NCAA's | Winning the 2003 4x400m World Championships (in Saint-Denis, France)
The members of the 2002 NCAA Championship team will be honored in Columbia, S.C., on Nov. 9 and 10 as a part of the All-Sports Reunion.