Several Gamecocks had a significant impact on games in week one of the NFL regular season yesterday. Check out some of the top performances:
We'll start with one of the Gamecocks' most veteran players in his 13th NFL season, Atlanta Falcons defensive end John Abraham. Abraham had three tackles and tallied a sack in Atlanta's 40-24 win over Kansas City. Nicknamed "The Predator," Abraham has now recorded 113.0 career sacks, which ranks tied for 15th in NFL history and leads all active players. (Photo credit: Mandatory Credit: John Rieger-US PRESSWIRE)
On the other end of the experience spectrum, first year rookie receiver Alshon Jeffery made his debut count, collecting three passes for 80 yards including a 42-yard touchdown catch for his first career score in the Chicago Bears' 41-21 win over Indianapolis. Video here (Photo credit: David Banks/Getty Images North America)
Second-year 49ers defensive back Chris Culliver posted five tackles and had a key pass breakup during the Packers' final drive in the fourth quarter on fourth down to help seal San Francisco's 30-22 win over Green Bay. (Photo Credit: Associated Press)
After missing the end of the 2011 season with concussion and undergoing offseason shoulder surgery, Sidney Rice showed off his vertical for the Seahawks with a leaping grab in the end zone for a touchdown. Rice snagged four catches for 36 yards including the 10-yard touchdown reception in Seattle's 20-16 loss to Arizona. Video here (Photo credit: Matt Kartozian-US PRESSWIRE)
Other notable performances:
- Although the Tennessee Titans suffered a 34-13 loss to New England, Gamecock tight end Jared Cook was a bright spot with four catches for a team-high 64 yards including a 35-yard reception.
- First round draft pick corner back Stephon Gilmore had four tackles in the Buffalo Bills' 48-28 loss to the Jets.
- DB Johnathan Joseph tallied five tackles and a pass deflection in Houston's 30-10 win over Miami.
- Tune in tonight on ESPN at 10:15 ET for the second game of the Monday Night Football doubleheader featuring Melvin Ingram and the San Diego Chargers taking on the Oakland Raiders.
- Be sure to check out the Gamecocks in the Pros page on GamecocksOnline.com every Monday for updates on every Gamecock player in the NFL.
Special thanks to the Media Relations staff for their help with compiling this info.