The Gamecocks head to Athens today for the first of two contests against the Georgia Bulldogs. Game time is set for 2 p.m. at Stegeman Coliseum. Listen live on 1320 AM (in Columbia) or on GamecocksOnline.com. Brad Muller and Marcy Girton will have the call. The game is also televised on CSS.
South Carolina (12-10, 5-5) Notes
- South Carolina's RPI is among the highest in the SEC at 32 (as of Feb. 5). Ahead of the Gamecocks are Tennessee (3), Georgia (14), Kentucky (22) and Vanderbilt (24).
- Dawn Staley chose to use November and December as a building block for success in January by having contests against challenging teams. As a result of this, the Gamecocks' schedule is currently ranked as the eighth-toughest in the nation. Tennessee is the only team in the SEC that has faced a more strident challenge than South Carolina this season.
- South Carolina center Kelsey Bone has proven to be among the SEC's top freshmen, leading the conference in rebounding (9.5) and ranking seventh in scoring (14.8). Bone's rebounding average ranks 39th in the nation and fourth nationally among freshmen.
- The Gamecocks are shooting 40.9 percent from 3-point range in SEC play to lead the league.
- South Carolina has scored in the 70s five times this season and is a perfect 5-0 in those games. Since Dawn Staley took the reins of the program, South Carolina is 10-3 in games in which it scores at least 70 points.
- The Lady Bulldogs lead the series 28-4, including victories in the last nine meetings. The last time South Carolina defeated Georgia was a 64-59 decision on Feb. 7, 2002, to close out a season sweep of the Lady Bulldogs.
- The No. 14-ranked Georgia Lady Bulldogs look to build upon the momentum gained from a Thursday victory over No. 19 LSU. The win came after a three game losing streak.
- Georgia's 16-0 start to begin the 2009-10 season was the Lady Bulldogs' best opening to a campaign ever.
- Ashley Houts has played more career minutes than any other active Division I player entering 2009-10. She played 34 minutes against LSU on a sprained left ankle, and her amount of time on the court today is TBD.
- The Lady Bulldogs fell to Auburn last weekend by 14 points. The Gamecocks swept their series with Auburn this season.